july AT A GLaNCE!
Foundations of Judaism will begin again on August 12. Contact Lois or Danielle in the rabbis' office to sign up for the new classes.
July 8: Mamele! Check out our latest in our film series in "Yiddish Club" below.
* Monday Minyan Mapquest Monday mornings, following morning minyan: Rabbi Lubliner takes us on a tour of Jewish cities, explaining history and current statistics of some well-known and not-so-well-known Jewish communities around the world. July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
* Talmud Class Rabbi Lubliner explores communal responses to crisis in tractate Ta’anit. Open to all! Mondays 7:15 p.m. July 2, 9, 23, 30
* Foundations of Judaism class Sundays 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Classes are held at the Center, and are open to all, whether you are considering conversion, seeking to understand a friend or relative’s religious choices, or simply trying to go beyond your childhood Jewish education. Classes are ongoing – join us at any time! There may be a nominal charge for purchasing of materials that cover the entire year’s curriculum. NOTE: Classes will begin again with Unit 1 on August 12, 2018. Please contact Lois to reserve your spot!
* NOW WEEKLY! ShalOM Meditation Please join us for 25 minutes of meditation in a Jewish environment! At 9:15-9:30, we will offer some basic instruction of meditation technique and approach. We will start our actual practice at 9:30 and go until 9:55 (in time for the Torah service). We meet in the Kramer Library (JJC). July 7, 14, 21, 28
Hebrew Classes: New classes for summer are beginning NOW! Please contact Lois ASAP if you would like to get on the list.
* Alef-Bet Hebrew For beginners! Learn (or re-learn) Hebrew letters and vowels, and some very basic vocabulary and grammar. Also available: If you are unable to travel in person to the class, we can include you remotely via computer by request. July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 (Our summer class is filled; please check back for the Fall Semester class beginning after the High Holidays)
* Service Skills (intermediate Hebrew level) This class is designed to increase prayer fluency and help our congregants to become more comfortable in our Jacksonville Jewish Center weekday and Shabbat services. Basic reading skills (knowledge of Alef/Bet) are necessary, but we will work together on reading fluency, higher-level reading skills, and prayer vocabulary. If you are interested, please contact Lois to schedule a time!
*Conversational Hebrew Club This group - just forming now - is for advanced Hebrew speakers. Members will discuss videos, readings, etc. as they continue to use their Hebrew conversational skills. Contact Lois for more information. ______________________________________________________________________________________________
* July 8: YIDDISH "CLUB" This month, we present the Yiddish movie classic Mamele (1938), filmed in Poland and starring Molly Picon and Joseph Green. It's a great musical comedy of Jewish life in Lodz, Poland - includes Molly Picon’s theme song, Abi Gezunt. We’ll meet from 1:00-3:00 pm in the Bessie Setzer-Frisch Activities Center. Noshes will be served! ***We are considering meeting on another day/time to work more intensively on Yiddish Conversation. Please contact Lois if you are interested in this new group! Please note that this will not interfere with our regular, monthly Yiddish Club meetings. ***
* July 17: Center Book Club open to all interested adults. The book this month is The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, by Gabrielle Zevin. We meet in the Starbuck's section of the Barnes & Noble on San Jose Blvd. at 7:30 pm. Please join us! Next month's book (August 21) will be Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard.
* July 21: Coffee & Torah Third Shabbat of every month Come enjoy a strong cup of brew, a tasty breakfast treat, and thought-provoking insights into the weekly Torah portion in the intimate setting of Rabbi Lubliner’s office. 8:00-9:00a.m.
Contact Lois Tompkins 904-292-1000 ext. 146 or [email protected] for questions on dates or more Adult Education opportunities.