february AT A GLaNCE!
MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS NOW!!!
Marilyn and Louis Safer Shabbaton on Feb. 23-25. Please see details on drop-down menu.
* Monday Minyan Mapquest Monday mornings, following morning minyan: Rabbi Lubliner takes us on a tour of Jewish cities, explaining history and current statistics of some well-known and not-so-well-known Jewish communities around the world. Feb. 5, 12, 26
* Talmud Class Rabbi Lubliner explores communal responses to crisis in tractate Ta’anit. Open to all! Mondays 7:00 p.m. Feb. 5 and 26
* Foundations of Judaism class Sundays 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Classes are held at the Center, and are open to all, whether you are considering conversion, seeking to understand a friend or relative’s religious choices, or simply trying to go beyond your childhood Jewish education. Classes are ongoing – join us at any time! There may be a nominal charge for purchasing of materials that cover the entire year’s curriculum. On March 4, we will begin Unit 6: LifeCycle We will explore lifecycle commemorations, leading to a comfort in attending and participating in Jewish rites of passage. This unit will be taught by Etta Fialkow. Feb. 4 and 11 (Adult students are encouraged to join the Shabbaton discussion on Feb. 25, beginning at 10:00)
* NOW WEEKLY! ShalOM Meditation Please join us for 25 minutes of meditation in a Jewish environment! At 9:15-9:30, we will offer some basic instruction of meditation technique and approach. We will start our actual practice at 9:30 and go until 9:55 (in time for the Torah service). We meet in the Kraemer Library (JJC). Feb. 3, 10, 17, 24
* Alef-Bet Hebrew a new class began in October , running weekly on Sunday mornings at 9:15 am, taught by Etta Fialkow. Please contact Lois for reservations for the next beginners series. Feb. 4, 11, 25
* Service Skills (intermediate Hebrew level) (time tba) This class is designed to increase prayer fluency and help our congregants to become more comfortable in our Jacksonville Jewish Center weekday and shabbat services. Basic reading skills are necessary, but we will work together on fluency and prayer vocabulary. Please contact Lois!
*Conversational Hebrew class Join Dr. Melvyn Cohen as he facilitates a class in conversational Hebrew. Hebrew reading skills are NOT a requirement! Class is held on Sunday mornings at 10:30-11:30. Feb. 4, 11, 25 ______________________________________________________________________________________________
* February 11: YIDDISH "CLUB" Our monthly meeting will held in the JJC Kramer Library at 12:30. This is an informal group of all ages with varying levels of ability. Meet other local speakers to practice the language, or to just shmooze a bisl! We’ll listen to Klezmer music, watch videos and films, read and speak in Yiddish! Please join the fun! Next meeting will be March 18.
* February 17: Coffee & Torah Third Shabbat of every month Come enjoy a strong cup of brew, a tasty breakfast treat, and thought-provoking insights into the weekly Torah portion in the intimate setting of Rabbi Lubliner’s office. 8:00-9:00 a.m.
* February 20: Center Book Club open to all interested adults. Our next meeting is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. in the Starbucks section of Barnes and Noble on San Jose, as usual. Our book this month is The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye by Rachel Joyce; and March 20 – The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce.
Contact Lois Tompkins 904-292-1000 ext. 146 or [email protected] for questions on dates or more Adult Education opportunities.