july AT A GLaNCE!
SAVE THE DATES: - Join us for our Israeli Film series, running monthly through the summer. Please see below for more details.
* Monday Minyan Mapquest Monday mornings, following morning minyan: Rabbi Lubliner takes us on a tour of Jewish cities, explaining history and current statistics of some well-known and not-so-well-known Jewish communities around the world. July 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
* Talmud Class Taught by Rabbi Lubliner Join us for a journey through Jewish time as we study the creation and development of the Hebrew calendar, the liturgy and rituals of the Jewish New Year, and fascinating midrash of Tractate Rosh Hashanah. We are just beginning this new tractate, so this is a good time to start! No prior knowledge or experience with Talmud study necessary. Mondays 7:15 p.m. July 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
* Foundations of Judaism class Sundays 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Classes are held at the Center, and are open to all, whether you are considering conversion, seeking to understand a friend or relative’s religious choices, or simply trying to go beyond your childhood Jewish education. We have finished classes for this year, and will resume the rotation of subjects on August 25. Please contact Lois to get on the list for the new classes.
* NOW WEEKLY! ShalOM Meditation Please join us for 25 minutes of meditation in a Jewish environment! At 9:15-9:30, we will offer some basic instruction of meditation technique and approach. We will start our actual practice at 9:30 and go until 9:55 (in time for the Torah service). We meet in the Kramer Library (JJC). July 6, 13, 20, 27
* NEW!!! Alef-Bet Hebrew For beginners Learn (or re-learn) Hebrew letters and vowels, and some very basic vocabulary and grammar. Our summer class, taught by Lois Tompkins, is running on Wednesday evenings through the summer months. This class is closed, but please contact us if you would like to get on the waiting list for the new class beginning in October. July 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
* Service Skills (intermediate Hebrew level) This class is designed to increase prayer fluency and help our congregants to become more comfortable in our Jacksonville Jewish Center weekday and Shabbat services. Basic reading skills (knowledge of Alef/Bet) are necessary, but we will work together on reading fluency, higher-level reading skills, and prayer vocabulary.
NOTE: For some classes, we can arrange remote access (live, webinar-style through "Zoom"). Please ask if it is available for a class that is of interest to you!
* Wednesday, July 17: Center Book Club open to all interested adults. We meet at 7:30 pm in the Starbucks section of the Barnes & Noble Book Store on San Jose. This month's book is Flight Behavior, by Barbara Kingsolver
SAVE THE DATE for the last of a series of Israeli films:
- July 28: The Marriage Contract This comedy aims its satirical barbs at the institution of marriage which is about to collapse just as it is established, which is with the marriage contract, the Ketubah, that is misplaced in one of the drawers. The play's protagonists are Elimelech the plumber and his wife Shifra, ex-kibbutzniks, who discover after 25 years of a more or less happy marriage, that perhaps they were never married at all. The true victim of this discovery is their daughter, Ayala, who wishes to marry Robert, an academician and descendant of a noble rabbinic family. However, the parents find themselves in a deep family crisis, on the brink of "divorce." 1-3 pm
* July 20: Coffee & Torah Third Shabbat of every month Come enjoy a strong cup of brew, a tasty breakfast treat, and thought-provoking insights into the weekly Torah portion in the intimate setting of Rabbi Lubliner’s office. 8:00-9:00a.m.
* YIDDISH CLUB This is a group of people who meet monthly to enjoy Yiddish culture and language. We begin with a short lesson, watch videos, listen to Klezmer music, and/or discuss Yiddish stage, movies, and humor! Perfect for ALL, whether you know the language or not - please join us! We are on summer break, but will continue in the fall.
Contact Justin Sakofs 904-292-1000 ext. 146 or [email protected] for questions on dates or more Adult Education opportunities. Our classes and presentations are free of charge except for the cost of materials if needed. Please join us!