october AT A GLaNCE!
New! Conversational Hebrew class Join Dr. Melvyn Cohen as he begins a class in conversational Hebrew. Hebrew reading skills are NOT a requirement! Class will be held on Sunday mornings at 10:30-11:30, beginning October 22. Please notify Lois at [email protected] if you are interested so that we are sure to have enough materials!
* Monday Minyan Mapquest Monday mornings, following morning minyan: Rabbi Lubliner takes us on a tour of Jewish cities, explaining history and current statistics of some well-known and not-so-well-known Jewish communities around the world. October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
* Talmud Class NOTE: Rabbi Lubliner explores communal responses to crisis in tractate Ta’anit. Open to all! Mondays 7:00 p.m. October 9, 16, 23, 30
* Foundations of Judaism class Sundays 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Classes are held at the JJC, and are open to all, whether you are considering conversion, seeking to understand a friend or relative’s religious choices, or simply trying to go beyond your childhood Jewish education. Classes are ongoing – join us at any time! There may be a nominal charge for purchasing of materials that cover the entire year’s curriculum. We are now on Unit 2: People of the Book(s) We will introduce the writings of Judaism, illustrating how Jews are people of the books. We will engage students with the primary texts of Judaism, and accustom them to the idea of multiple Judaisms and normative Jewish practice. Chapter 4 is Halakha: An Overview of Jewish Law . What is the difference between a mitzvah and a good deed? Who is empowered to make changes in Jewish law? What books do the rabbis turn to when it is time to answer a question of halakha? This class will be on Oct. 22, and will be taught by Rabbi Jonathan Lubliner October 8, 15, 22, 29
* Alef-Bet Hebrew a new class will begin on October 22, running weekly on Sunday mornings at 9:15 am, taught by Etta Fialkow. Please contact Lois for reservations October 22, 29
* Service Skills (intermediate Hebrew level) Mondays at 11:30 am This is an ongoing class, designed to increase prayer fluency and help our congregants to become more comfortable in our Jacksonville Jewish Center weekday and shabbat services. Basic reading skills are necessary, but we will work together on fluency and prayer vocabulary. All are welcome to join us! October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
*Conversational Hebrew class Join Dr. Melvyn Cohen as he begins a class in conversational Hebrew. Hebrew reading skills are NOT a requirement! Class will be held on Sunday mornings at 10:30-11:30, beginning October 22 October 22, 29
*October 14: ShalOM Meditation 2nd Shabbat of every month Please join us for 25 minutes of meditation in a Jewish environment! At 9:15-9:30, we will offer some basic instruction of meditation technique and approach. We will start our actual practice at 9:30 and go until 9:55 (in time for the Torah service).
* October 15: YIDDISH "CLUB" Our monthly meeting will held in the JJC Kramer Library at 12:30. This is an informal group of all ages with varying levels of ability. Meet other local speakers to practice the language, or to just shmooze a bisl! We’ll listen to Klezmer music, watch videos and films, read and speak in Yiddish! Please join the fun! Our next meeting will be Nov. 12, and we will be discussing Jewish Humor!
* October 17 : Center Book Club open to all interested adults. Our next meeting is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. in the Starbucks section of Barnes and Noble on San Jose, as usual. We'll be continuing our discussion of A Gentleman in Moscow, in addition to discussing the October book, Provenance, by Laney Salisbury and Aly Sujo.
* October 21: Coffee & Torah Third Shabbat of every month Come enjoy a strong cup of brew, a tasty breakfast treat, and thought-provoking insights into the weekly Torah portion in the intimate setting of Rabbi Lubliner’s office. 8:00-9:00 a.m.
SAVE THE DATE: January 4: 7 pm "Terrorist Cop" More details soon!
Contact Lois Tompkins 904-292-1000 ext. 146 or [email protected] for questions on dates or more Adult Education opportunities.