June AT A GLaNCE!
Some of our teachers will be away during the summer! Please check this page often for summer schedules and announcements!
* Monday Minyan Mapquest Monday mornings, following morning minyan: Rabbi Lubliner takes us on a tour of Jewish cities, explaining history and current statistics of some well-known and not-so-well-known Jewish communities in our country. June 5; we will resume on July 17
* Talmud Class Rabbi Lubliner explores communal responses to crisis in tractate Ta’anit. Open to all! Mondays 7:15 p.m. Will resume on July 17
* Foundations of Judaism class Sundays 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Classes are held at the JJC, and are open to all, whether you are considering conversion, seeking to understand a friend or relative’s religious choices, or simply trying to go beyond your childhood Jewish education. Classes are ongoing – join us at any time! There may be a nominal charge for purchasing of materials that cover the entire year’s curriculum. NOTE: classes will resume in August; date to be announced; please contact Lois Tompkins to get on the list, and/or Rabbi Lubliner's office if you are interested in conversion.
* Alef-Bet Hebrew class, taught by Lois Tompkins, will be held weekly at the Jacksonville Jewish Center on Fridays at 10:30 am. We also offer an video conferencing option (students will be attending the class remotely via computer). June 2, 16, 23, 30
* Service Skills (intermediate Hebrew level) Mondays at 11:30 am This is an ongoing class, designed to increase prayer fluency and help our congregants to become more comfortable in our Jacksonville Jewish Center weekday and shabbat services. Basic reading skills are necessary, but we will work together on fluency and prayer vocabulary. All are welcome to join us! June 5, 19, 26
* Lead a Service! David Wolinsky, JJC Ritual Director, will work with any member who is interested in leading a portion of our daily or Shabbat services. Please contact David at 268-4200, ext. 224 for individual scheduling.
* June 4: YIDDISH "CLUB" Our Yiddish Club monthly meeting will held in the JJC Kramer Library on Sunday, June 4 at 12:30. This is an informal group of all ages with varying levels of ability. Meet other local speakers to practice the language, or to just shmooze a bisl! We’ll listen to Klezmer music, watch videos and films, read and speak in Yiddish! Please join the fun! (Our next meeting will be on July 9)
* June 10: ShalOM Meditation 2nd Shabbat of every month Please join us for 25 minutes of meditation in a Jewish environment! At 9:15-9:30, we will offer some basic instruction of meditation technique and approach. We will start our actual practice at 9:30 and go until 9:55 (in time for the Torah service).
* June 13: Center Book Club open to all interested adults. It meets at 7:30 pm in the Starbuck's section at Barnes & Noble on San Jose. This month's book is Lab Girl, by Hope Jahren.
* Coffee & Torah will not meet in June Third Shabbat of every month. Come enjoy a strong cup of brew, a tasty breakfast treat, and thought-provoking insights into the weekly Torah portion in the intimate setting of Rabbi Lubliner’s office. 8:00-9:00 a.m. (Our next meeting will be on July 15)
Contact Lois Tompkins 904-292-1000 ext. 146 or [email protected] for questions on dates or more Adult Education opportunities.